Saturday, June 18, 2005

Some samplings...

"The classic form of the big bang theory really says nothing about what banged, what happened before it banged or what caused it to bang."

- Alan Guth, MIT



"Most people come at this iwth the nieve notion that there was a beginning. That, somehow, space and time emerged from nothingness into somethingness."

- Edward Witten, Institute for Advanced Study



"Do I really believe that the universe was a big bang out of nothing? I'm not a philosopher so I won't say, but I would imagine to a philosopher that is a problem. But to a physicist I think it's also a problem."

- Burt Ovrut, University of Pennsylvania



"I actually find it rather unattractive to think of a universe without a beginning. It seems to me that a universe without a beginning is also a universe without an explanation."

- Alan Guth, MIT



"It's an intruiging idea. Unfortunately, there are a few technical problems."

- Brian Greene



"As promising and exciting as the theory is, we don't entirely understand it."

- Briane Greene

No comments: